Friday, August 14, 2009

ADVENTURES AT THE OTHER BLAKE ESTATE PART SEVEN

It's never easy to get up in the morning, especially when you're extra tired from staying up late, but I had no choice that morning. Ray shook me awake with such strength, you'd have thought he wasn't a cute seven year old boy, or however old he was. "Ethan." He said as my eyelids fluttered open and I gave a little moan of protest. "Papa wants to see to you."

I sat up. This whole time at the Blake's estate, and I had barely even seen the master of the house, let alone had the chance to speak to him. I wondered what it was about. "Give me five minutes to get ready." I said and hopped out of the bed.

"Okay." Ray looked to have no intention of leaving. I guess that guys really didn't think other guys minded seeing them change clothes. I tried to think of a way to politely tell Ray to leave, but Butterfly, ever present by the boy's side said, in his seldom-used voice. "Let's go."

Ray looked up at Butterfly. "Breakfast?"

Butterfly nodded.

"Okay. Bye, Ethan. Daddy's in the greenhouse." He turned to Butterfly. "Can I have strawberries?"

They left, and I threw on a fresh set of clothes. I wasn't quite sure where the greenhouse was, but I was hoping to run into a maid or butler who could point me in the right direction. It seemed, however, that everyone had the morning off, and I wandered though the vast, winding halls of the chateau until I began to wonder if whatever Bernard Blake had to say was worth getting thoroughly lost.

Then I heard voices coming from a room. I peeked through the keyhole, not wanting to open the door on anyone in the midst of a thrilling conversation, when I recognized the pants and voices of Neil and Adam.

The latter spoke. "You're a pretty smart kid, aren't you?"

This didn't seem important, so I put my hand on the knob, just in time to hear Neil say, "I'm not gay, if that's what you're asking."

I paused. I wasn't about to disrupt this just for the sake of learning where the greenhouse was. I thought about continuing my search elsewhere, but I really couldn't resist hearing just a bit more.

"I wasn't. Well, sort of." I watched Adam's pants (I couldn't see higher than their waists from looking through the key hole) move to stand closer to Neil's pants. "You know, right?"

"I know everything."

Adam laughed.

"But the real question is, how much do you know?" Neil asked. "I know you know, but since when?"

"Longer than you, I'm sure."

"How can you be? I mean, I knew after about five minutes."

"Well, it doesn't matter." Adam sighed. "You had a handicap."

Neil began to protest, but Adam stopped him. "So you aren't stupid."

My hand slipped on the doorknob, and the door swung open.

"Ethan!" Adam and Neil said together in the tone of one caught in the act of putting tacks on a teacher's chair.

"I...um...well...the greenhouse."

Neil breathed a sigh of relief. "You got lost. No worries. Happens all the time. Come with me." He came over to the doorway and began to lead me out, before turning back to Adam, still looking a bit like he'd put his foot in his mouth. "I'm not stupid, Adam." He put a hand on my shoulder and led me away.

When we got to the greenhouse, it was empty, though Mr. Blake had so kindly left an envelope with a sheet of paper inside. I tried to read it, but the handwriting was so bad that both Neil and I gave up.

So much for waking up early.

6 comments:

  1. Was Butterfly in his pajamas? I hope he was X)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, your fish are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol wow cece. get a hold on yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. lets do a little tai chi

    breath in, breath out
    this is my watermelon, i cut it i half.
    i give you half, i give you half.
    now i have no watermelon.

    ReplyDelete