Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The hardest thing was finding Neil a present. Sure, he had said not to worry about bringing anything, but I couldn't help it. One simply did not go to a party without a gift, or so I had been told. And I had never shopped for a rich kid before. Would he be offended by anything less than brand name? Would he think I was cheap if I gave him something homemade? Since gift cards were out of the question (Neil had no need for more money), what else did boys want for their sweet sixteen?

I asked my brother this last question. He told me "a car."

Since a car was just a bit out of my birthday present budget, I spent several sleepless nights trying to think of something to get Neil.

What does Neil want? I asked myself, but the question was very hard to answer. He was pretty much content with everything. He liked soccer, guitar, good grades. He collected swords, played chess, and knew more martial arts than I could count on one hand. He disliked germs, Evan (I think), and being in Adam's clubs. But you couldn't give him a free pass for an A or a germ bubble. I was stumped. Would he like a battle ax just as much as a sword? Was he sick of Kung Fu, or could I get him the first season of the show? Did he need anything for his guitar, like a cheap amp?

Shopping for a boy is tough, even if it is your roommate.

I still haven't decided what to get him, and there's less than a week until 'the car is sent to pick me up'! Please, help me!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. How bout telling him your secret.
    Or is that a smidge too revolutionary? Hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think a sweater with love in the stiches can be very many if presented the correct way;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "several sleepless nights"? Bit obsessed, are we?~

    ReplyDelete