Thursday, May 7, 2009

Two words: Costume Gala.  Two little words, that was all it took, to strike fear into my heart.  

I found out today that a week before finals began, Lakewood Academy had an annual costume gala, which seemed to turn into a sort show put on for the girls at Saint Catherine's for money, pride, and the opportunity for not taking a final.  Everyone, or nearly so, participated, and the dorm building with the most winners (there were several events) got a special prizes.   Most of these events were normal: swimsuit, formal wear, casual.  But there were also some that were very abnormal, like common people wear, the "King's" competition, and the so-called "ladies department." It was that last one that I was dreading the most.  

Neil was the one that informed me about it, saying that he'd probably sign up for the formal wear.  

"What about swimsuit?" I said.  "And what's the "King's" competition?"

"You chose an ancient king to represent, dress like them, and the winner gets a kiss from the "Queen" at SC."

"Oh.  Why don't you join that one?"

"Freshmen rarely win.  And I'd rather help the dorm by wining a smaller event than losing because I was superficial.  But if our dorm doesn't have a good candidate...."  He shrugged.  "What do you think?  Could I do Arthur of Camelot?"  He put his foot on a nearby desk and struck up a heroic pose.  "Or should I try for something less cliche?"

I laughed.  "How about Xerxes....or King Lukengu of the Bakete?"

Neil grinned.  "You mean the guy with 800 wives?"  He laughed.  "Let's see..."  He paused and turned away from me, the turned back, a completely different look on his face.  "Ethan..." He said, letting my fake name slide slowly across his tongue.  "Ethan..."

"You're starting to creep me out."  I told him seriously.

"But Ethan,"  He grabbed me around the waist and pulled me into him.  "Come.  Join my other wives." 

Hans and Frans entered at this time, looking curious.   

"Hans!" Neil cried, pushing me aside and pretending to try to kiss him.  

Hans pushed him away.  "Has he been drinking?" He asked me.

"He's practicing for the King's competition."  I explained.  "He's that king with eight hundred wives."

Neil stopped his act.  "So?" He asked.  "How was it?"

"Not very convincing." The twins said in unison, just as I said, "Not bad."

Neil smiled.  "I guess I'll stick with formal wear."

"And you, Ethan?" Hans asked, grinning dangerously.

"What are you entering?" Frans said. 

"Because the other dorms have boys like Alex and Collin."

"They have boys who look a lot like girls."  Frans smiled wickedly at his brother.  

"And you know what they wear in the "ladies department"?"

"Let me guess."  I said unenthusiastically.

All three boys exchanged smiles that made my stomach drop.  Would this stupid Gala give away my secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment